Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Today I would like to share some of my favorite quotes about aging and life in general for caregivers and nursing students.
1. Sign seen in a store: Don' t let aging get you down it's too hard to get back up.
2. Gloria Pitzer: About the only thing that comes to us without effort is old age.
3. Mark Twain: Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.
Each day brings its challenges, but looking for the bits of humor scattered there can be helpful. Let me share a chuckle my husband and I had recently.
We were driving to a local restaurant for our weekly family dinner. (We try to take Don's parents out each week for socialization and a different environment). We were using the drive time to remind my father-in-law why is was important for him to drink more fluids. Using his long-term memory to help this endeavor, my husband asked him if he remembered that water was a universal solvent. Getting a positive response, I queried "do you remember the periodic table of elements?" He thought for a second and responded "the periodic table of elephants?!"
We all had a laugh and he moved on to reading billboards and store signs oblivious to what we found so funny.
It's moments like these that balance out the hard times.

No comments:

Post a Comment